Let me preface this Friday Update with a few short notes.
- Yup, it’s Sunday, for those who don’t know, it’s a bit of a running gag that I release Friday updates not on Friday.
- Yes, we’ll be doing more frequent status updates.
- And of course, this update is going to be a bit of a read, so sit down, buckle up and get ready for the ride.
Yesterday was May 9th, a day that could be said to have a significant meaning to me. It’s the day I joined Ready Up Live four years ago. It’s hard to believe that I’ve been a member of this community for that long. I’ve witnessed two Halo launches, a launch of a new generation of consoles, countless other game releases, many historic events, and our YouTube channel grow into to the giant it is today. (It’s been so long that I can’t even remember how many subscribers there were when I joined, but it was nothing compared to today.) In perspective, four years is a long time, I mean when compared against the average lifespan of a male in Canada, I’ve spent 1/20th of my potential lifespan as a member of this community. I’m happy to say that it’s been time well spent.
When I first joined the community, Greenskull’s Halo Reach Beta Randomtage had just come out. None of my personal friends played Halo (They loved CoD) so I joined to mingle and find players to enjoy the Reach Beta with. Looking back on that day, it was a shockingly defining moment. I don’t think that when I joined I could have ever imagined getting so involved with the site, nor things evolving in the way that they have. I mean a lot has changed since I’ve joined. We’ve gone from RUL V. 3.0 to V. 7.0, the number of registered members has more than doubled, we’ve gained a larger than ever team devoted to serving content, and helping the site, and of course we’ve grown into our shoes as one of the predominant Halo Communities. There’s more accomplishments that have occurred over these last four years, but if I was making a list like that I might very well be stuck here all day. The single thing I am most proud of is that our values stand here as strongly today, as they were four years ago. We’ve focused at providing an inclusive and friendly community for people of all ages, genders, races, opinions and tastes. I really do think that’s something to be proud of. There’s lots of places on the internet where people are mistreated because they don’t fit into a specific mould that the site has come to expect. So I must take a moment to thank all of you who participate in anything and everything that Ready Up Live does, for helping to uphold our values. The site could not, and would not exist in the same fashion if we did not have the cooperation of the community at large, so thank you.
During my time here I’ve held a number of positions on the team, from what would now be called a content producer (or in 2010, a newsposter.) to what I am now, the Chief Executive Officer. When I first joined the team it was nothing like it was today. We had four active members. Greenskull, SourNotHardcore, Zolner MD and myself. Riot joined a few days after myself, thus making our team five members strong. That’s not much when compared to our eighteen member strong team today. Two of these active members from when I joined are no longer with us, namely Sour, and Zolner, but their legacy here lives on. Sadly we have had to say goodbye to other members of the team too, people you may remember, know as friends, and love. Their legacy lives on here too. We still miss many of you, and wish you well in your current endeavours. Thank you for everything that you contributed to the site while you were here.
In their place we’ve recruited the people that you know as our current team. Anthrax, Apple, Chewy, Dark, Drax, Fran, Killer, Minolta, Rez, Scribbles, SMG, Soterios, Tyzer, Velocity, and Wangtime. (And of course Riot, Greenskull and I). Everyone here plays a significant part in how Ready Up Live functions from a day to day basis. The team is like a puzzle and everyone is a piece that paints the picture of what we are. Everyone that is or ever has been a member of the team has helped to form Ready Up Live into what it is today. I would like to take a moment and thank the staff as a whole for the work they do. From our moderators whom keep things clean, to our content producers whom generate interesting articles, to our community staff which engages and promotes, and even the management team that keeps things on task and focuses. Thank you for everything you do.
As a whole Ready Up Live is the place I want to be, my home on the web. I hope that many of you feel the same way about the site.
Moving on to the update portion of this, I’m excited to say that there’s some exciting things that we have in store, some of which I can disclose today, and others that you’ll just have to wait for and see.
- Updates will occur more frequently, you can expect at least one community update per month.
- We’re migrating our Minecraft server from a 2.5GB of ram shared hosting setup, to a fully dedicated server with 8GB of Ram and a Intel Xenon processor. This addition of power is going to allow us to both reduce any and all lag that occurs on the server, as well as add more content for you.
- The RUL Points system will be making a triumphant return in the near future. Stay tuned for a future update explaining what this means for you.
- We’re going to be adding more content producers to our team in the coming months. Stay tuned for the post which will open applications.
- We’re going to have a stronger focus on streaming on the Ready Up Live Twitch account. Streaming is fun and we know you enjoy watching so stay tuned, and follow us on twitch.
- We’ve got a massive surprise in store for everyone. This is what you’re going to have to wait for and see.
In addition to these six things, we’ve got some other cool things planned, but nothing I can disclose at this point in time. We’ve got to have some secrets other than the massive surprise.
To end off this post I’m going to ask you to speak your mind in the anonymous contact form below. To help us best suit your needs it would be awesome if you could fill it out.
- For Likes, simply put things you think RUL is doing right, that make you keep coming back to the site, and are beneficial to the overall community.
- For Dislikes, put things that you aren’t too fond of, or you think are detrimental to the overall community.
- For Wants, put things you would love to see RUL implement in the future. Feel free to dream a little, but don’t go too far. If you say things that are too out there, we won’t be able to implement it.
[contact-form][contact-field label=’Likes’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Dislikes’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Wants’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]Thank you for your continued support of the site. As a little celebration and sign of my gratitude to you all I will be giving out a 3 month Xbox Live Code. For a chance to win it, all you need to do is post in the forum thread. (This contest will end one week from from today at 11:59PM EDT)