From Gamescom 2014 in Germany, Activision and Sledgehammer Games revealed the new features for Advanced Warfare‘s multiplayer. The Exo suit is a huge focus in this next generation of CoD, acting more like a Crysis nano-suit, giving players more maneuverability and abilities. Information on loadouts, character customization, gametypes and maps were shown, as well as some new features like supply drops and virtual lobbies.
The Exo-suit is a game-changer for CoD, and greatly impacted the developer’s design direction in maps, gametypes and progression system. Included with the Exo-suit are a variety of movement, offense and defense abilities.
- Boost jump: the player leaps in the air, being able to scale walls and reach high ledges
- Boost dodge: lets you dodge left or right on ground
- Boost dash: whilst in the air, you can ‘double jump’ in any direction
- Boost Slam: whilst in the air, you can slam the ground and kill enemies in the slam radius
Exo-suit abilities include:
- Hover: after you Boost jump, you can tap jump to hover in the air for a short amount of time
- Cloak: you become invisible for a short amount of time
- Shield: Deploy a force-field-like shield
- Trophy System: your suit acts as a trophy system, disabling/repelling grenades, missiles and explosives.
- Launcher: a built-in grenade launcher, being able to throw different types like frags, flash and semtex.
A new feature for Advanced Warfare that gives players ‘loot’, mainly weapons and character items that come in 3 types of rarity; Enlisted, Professional and Elite
Building up from the Pick 10 create-a-class system in Black Ops, the number of points is increased to 13, giving you options for primary and secondary weapons, attachments, Exo-suit mods/perks and score streaks.
- The perk system also includes Exo-suit perks that alter your Exo suit abilities, e.g. Increased time when Cloaking
- Score Streaks will be included in the loadouts, and can be customizable. You can have up to 4 score streaks, or can choose to have only 1 to focus more on your weapons or perks.
- Co-op score streaks are a new addition, where players can deploy their score streak, and have teammates connect to the aircraft as a secondary user/gunner.
- Whilst in create-a-class, you can test out your weapons and customizations in a virtual firing range at the press of a button.
Create-an-operator is Advanced Warfare’s character creation system, being able to customize headgear, arms, legs and even your Exo-suit.
- The virtual lobby is an improved game lobby where you can see other player’s operators, gear and loadout.
Maps and Gametypes
Multiplayer maps have more space and verticality, due to the fact that the Exo-suit introduces more maneuverability. The maps each have some sort of ‘levolution’ aspect, and focuses a lot on map control and awareness. The 4 maps announced are:
- Biolab – Set in a Bio-engineering lab, this map features both close quarters indoor combat along with long range outdoor terrain with added verticality for quick and fast-paced action. There are also glass canisters in the lab that you can explode on enemies.
- Riot: Set in a bombed out prison in Baghdad after a devastating riot, this penitentiary still has some defense mechanisms active.
- Ascend: Taking place in a futuristic Space Elevator terminal, this location features a map-based score streak that allows players to call in the turret defenses.
- Defender: In the shadow of the Golden Gate Bridge, an abandoned bunker that’s features open gameplay and a dynamic event – a tsunami hits with strategic regularity and changes a good portion of the map.
There will be 12 available gametypes at launch, including TDM, Domination, Hardpoint, CTF and Search & Destroy, also some new ones including:
- Momentum: a new take on the classic World at War gametype ‘war’
- Uplink: fight for control of a satellite drone and must fight their way to the opponent’s base, similar to Halo 4’s Ricochet
There was tiny bit of information on Advanced Warfare and the eSports scene, here are some features that were announced:
- Hardpoint and CTF
- Round-based Domination
- Broadcaster Mode
- Ranked Playlists
- Lan Lobbies
- Private match Rule-set Value Slider
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare releases on November 4th on the Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4 and PC. You can also get the Day Zero Edition on November 3rd, giving you access to the game 24-hours before its official launch. This edition comes with double XP, 2 bonus weapons and the Advanced Arsenal.