The April numbers from the market research firm NPD are out, with some shocking news on the console front. Microsoft’s Xbox One led console sales for the month of April, breaking Sony’s three month run as the #1 selling console in the United States. This marks the third month since the launch of the eight generation systems that the Xbox One has outsold the PS4. Could it be the start of Microsoft re-claiming the United States from Sony? Only time will tell.
On the software side of things sales were up 10% across the board. Mortal Kombat was the months #1 selling game. The full list of top sellers can be seen below, though it should be noted that NPD’s Liam Callahan stated that if the games were ranked by individual sku (i.e. #1Mortal Kombat PS4. #2Mortal Kombat XBO) the titles Bloodborne (PS4), Xenoblade Chronicles (New 3DS), and Mario Party 10 (Wii U) would make the list.
- Mortal Kombat X (PS4, XBO)
- Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, XBO, PC, 360, PS3)
- Battlefield Hardline (XBO, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- MLB 15: The Show (PS4, PS3)
- Minecraft (360, PS3, XBO, PS4)
- NBA 2K15 (XBO, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (XBO, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
- Super Smash Bros. (3DS, NWU)
- Borderlands: The Handsome Collection (PS4, XBO)