Happy Bungie Day, everyone!
Today, we recognize and appreciate the magic that happens when a group of passionate people take a game and make it their own. At Bungie, every July 7th of the month is all about community. Let us begin!
Destiny: Year One
While Bungie Day has been a thing for a number of years now, whether you’ve been around during the Halo era or right now, today marks the inaugural community celebration in the Destiny genre. It was just about this time last year that many of us were brought back to life within the rusted wastelands of Old Russia for the very first time. As always, it’s these stories that mean the most, so let’s relive a small slice of Destiny’s first year through your eyes.
No one video can capture an entire year of space magic. That is why Bungie would love for you to share your own favorite moment with them, and with the community.Announcing the Destiny
Year One Art Contest. Your mission is to answer the following question from your own point of view:
What has been your favorite thing about the first year of Destiny?
- Submissions: July 23rd, 2015
- The parade will be judged, in part, by the community itself. For our part, we’ll be rolling out a new space on Bungie.net to better highlight these and future creations by the talented people in our community.
- For now, keep your entry under wraps until Bungie issues the official call to action. Make an epic video, take a compelling picture, or sketch your vision of the Guardians that have settled into the Tower.
- The fifty creations that rise to the top will earn a Blacksmith Shader for their Guardian. Bungie will also send out a Collector’s Edition of Destiny: The Taken King to seven of you who earn the most love.
- You have two weeks. Share your favorite Year One stories and moments with us. Bungie will share them with the Destiny Community using some fancy new website features.
Wil Wheaton is already way ahead of you!
It’s been a year of fun challenges for your Guardian to tackle. Playing in the crucible with combatants to destroy, alien overlords to topple over, and treasures chests to be plundered out in the wild. Many moons from now, when we look back on year one, how will we know who among us charged head-long into the Darkness to conquer each and every threat?
If you can achieve all of these Moments of Triumph, this emblem will tell the tale.
You have from now until September 9th to earn it. After that, the monument to your legacy will be unattainable.
Track your progress as it unfolds on Bungie.net. Some of you have some work to do. Others may find that you’ve already forged your legend. Your profile page will highlight the challenges that have and have yet to be completed.
If you can meet this challenge, you shall be rewarded when we launch Destiny: The Taken King.
Strike a Pose
Every Guardian loves to show off something new for their avatar. In Destiny, the things we wear distinguish us. The same goes for Bungie.net, so Bungie has stocked your existing profile inventory with some new ways to express your identity right here on our forum.
Take this opportunity to dress up your local account with some new visual gear. New avatars and themes will let your fellow players know what you’re passionate about at a glance.
Finally, we’re bringing Bungie Day to a close with the launch of a brand new website feature: The Armory.
Check it out. You’ll find all the information you’ll need to make informed decisions about the perfect load-out for any mission. Or maybe you just want to look up your favorite gun, and turn it over and over and over.
- You are legendary. If you’ve created a Guardian in our world, you have made the game of Destiny better. It’s been an honor and a pleasure to play alongside you this year. You’re the reason why we do what we do.
- Happy Bungie Day, Guardian. And Happy Bungie Day to every player who has ever lent a bit of themselves to something that we created. We have more adventures in store for Destiny in the months and years to come. We hope you’ll be along for the ride. It just wouldn’t be the same without you.